The Hotel Wayne was originally constructed in 1827 and rebuilt in 1895. It has been maintained since then as an elegant, small town, country hotel and has undergone a complete renovation in early 2009. The ground floor has a large lounge and impressive entrance lobby, with a classical, grand staircase. The spacious dining room has beautiful original brick walls and twelve-foot high tin ceilings... all original. On the second and third floors, the Hotel has twenty individual rooms and suites, each with a private bath, cable TV, desk, and Super High Speed internet access. On the second floor, there is a lovely antique balcony, overlooking Main Street.
Hotel Wayne is situated in Honesdale Borough which, in addition to being the county seat, is the center of commerce in Wayne County. Our county has a rich past - from the latter half of the 1700's when settlers from Connecticut began clearing the woods to 1825 when the county seat was renamed Honesdale after Philip Hone, who at one time was the Mayor of New York City. Honesdale, via a canal built by the D & H Canal Company to the Delaware River, was the main port for delivery of Pennsylvania coal to New York City. Indeed, the first commercial steam locomotive operating in the U.S., the Sturbridge Lion, began operating from Honesdale in 1829. Wayne County continues to maintain the rich traditional values of country life to this day.